Wednesday, May 16, 2007

"But Sir"

In one of our interactive sessions today, which was about discussing various management related words and their definitions, I discovered that many of us are blessed with a catch-22 like capability. It is wasting our breath and filling the atmosphere with unnecessary sound waves upon subjects which have been largely undefined, impossible to define and will remain so even after all our efforts. No one is actually trying to reach an agreeable solution, we just want to be heard. We don’t need no education, we don’t need no thought control, we just need a mega phone and group of people who are getting paid to listen to you dish out shit, grossly foul smelling shit.

No one backs out, those who want to keep talking, keep doing so regardless of the argument being presented. The argument takes place in somewhat this way,

“The meaning of passion is not entirely clear as it can be termed as desire as well as something which is driven more by our mood at the moment or a passing fancy, leading to be short lived and over rated”

“But sir, I can give you a example of being passionate because it’s like, being really passionate. I have been passionate for so long and when I know the work I am doing is great I will be passionate. I am passionate.”

“umm, that’s not entirely what I am trying to say here, what I mean is that passion might not last. When you are working in the same environment for a long time, then after a period of a month or six months, you might ask yourself what am I doing here?”

“But sir, what I want to add is, that I am passionate about what I am doing here. It is not something like, something that gets over. I am passionate, I am driven by my work.”

Logic doesn’t touch these kind of interjections with a barge pole, after a few minutes the only person happy with the situation is the one who keeps interrupting with “but Sir” and rest of those who don’t have similar interruptions in mind wonder what they are doing here. Passion doesn’t stand a chance, not for two days, talk about a month.

I too am culpable of this crime, not just once but many times. However today I realized that it is imperative to shut up after one interjection and not keep on barging in with your basket of crap. It is important not only to keep the conversation in control, but to maintain your own levels of sanity.

No comments: