Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Awakening

Not many moons ago I decided, rather explained to myself that I don’t want to appear for the MBA entrance exams seriously this year as I want to take some responsibility, start working and stay at home for an year or two. That would give me the required break and a breather, time to consider my options and decide on a course of action. That would also ensure the surety of preparation I would put into it. Hence I looked forward to joining with the company that picked me up on campus, the IT bandwagon, and staying at home with my family, with visions of evenings with friends and a comfortable life.

The truth struck home and hard since the last 2 days, during the induction ceremony in a far away hotel and all day long training schedules. The morning travel was still less tenuous (getting up at 6.30 AM after 5 years conditioning of getting up at 11AM is rather sucky) as compared to the evening traffic rush hour, covering 3 kilometers in an hour. The total journey time today was around 3 hours and 10 minutes in the 13 hours that I spent outside. By the end of it I was hungry enough to eat a horse, tired enough to sleep for 13 hours, and frustrated enough to scream abuses nonstop sitting in the cab and the train. And all this when I know that I have it much, much easier than many other people sharing my age and position. All this when I know that it’s going to be like this for the next two years at least. All this when I know I don’t have any other option, I don’t want to look at other options. I am just too cowardly for that.

It has some good points too, which is what I keep telling myself as I make the arduous journeys and sit through excruciatingly boring presentations. No one ever said it would be easy, no one said otherwise. Yet when I am fretting and frothing there is this irresistible urge to blame the whole wide world for my slight difficulties, there is a feeling that so much is due to me while I get this. Yeah, maybe it is good, I need to come back, come back on earth, touch the ground and the ground realities. Masochism, the old ally, comes to the rescue.

5 comments:

Hers said...

Knock Knock Neo...
Follow the white rabbit!

Jain said...

@ravi: :) cmon man, we all know it was wachowski brothers plan of making the whole IT working population feel good about themselves.
the matrix is now actually a reality in terms of designing data matrices and the white rabbit is begging to be slain and eaten.

Hers said...

Firang Bosses, Perky Carrots...
The world is a farm, Outsourcing is irrigation and you and me, like all the other anthropods are the harvest...
Happy Harnesses
:)
By the way, I also attend my share of pre-professional hysteria... Training begins today...
"How to be a perfect vegetable"

Unknown said...

Interesting parallel you gave to IT Ravi, btw Saurabh ur blog did make the IT Junta feel good.

Jain said...

@farooq bhai: how can my blog make the IT junta feel good, i dont want to send that message at all! run, run for your lives while theres time!