Monday, June 13, 2005

For my dear friend

The Last leaf.....



Was thinking of old friends today
And how many of them have slipped away.
Moved, got married,
or stopped calling so much,
Found new friends,
got busy, and just lost touch.


It reminded me of falling leaves.
Every autumn the leaves fall from the trees.
Some stay longer than others,
but eventually - Each leaf must fall,
I'm told, Leaving the tree alone to face the cold.


Why is it that in the time of utmost need
The leaves would seek to leave the tree?
And when we need our friends around
We look and they can not be found?
Of course these friendships come and go
And in the spring new leaves will grow.


But I prefer autumn friends of old
With crackling laughter and colors bold.
It saddens me now, I must admit,
How somehow, someway,
I did forget
Laughing with old friends of mine
During summers when the sun would shine.


And then I thought of you.
That one stubborn leaf that won't let go.
That clings despite the winds that blow.
Fighting ice, and snow, and winter's stings
Hanging on right through till spring.


So I guess that's what you are to me -
The very last leaf to leave the tree.
I know it seems silly, but it's true.
When I see that last leaf...
I think of you.


This goes for someone, very special, very true.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!
Amazing!
lucky gal, for whom this poem is..

Jain said...

I know. she taught me the meaning of friendship, and how love can exist without other shenanigans.

Shreyansh said...

Is this original ?
In any case , it's a really beautiful poem!!

All the Best!!

Anonymous said...

hey saurabh...this is truely amazin and .....i dont know...i ahve no words for it actually.exquisite...beautiful...it is really touchin..keep writin...all th best yaar

Ravi said...

Dude, you rock...this peice of valediction...or so...is so sordid in its affectations, makes you aware of what you are losing in this haste of getting something more!
Go on!

Anonymous said...

need i repeat all that's already been said....in my eyes your stature lies raised...dude what are you doing in that "minehole"??

Anonymous said...

its beautiful...wish i am that last leaf for someone at some point during their lives..will you tell me who that person is? or do i already know about that individual..i have a feelin i do..but then again i dont know you for very long..so if your fine with it..let me know!